Translate

Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Number 1291: Tarzan's big scaly friend


Welcome to Pappy's 2013! It’s time to get back to school or to work. In my case my "work" is bringing you great old comics.

But...waitaminit! Didn't I just show a story about Tarzan and a Tyrannosaurus Rex? I sure did, in Pappy's #1255 in November. That story, from Tarzan #121 (1960), was drawn by Jesse Marsh. This story of Tarzan and a friendly Tyrannosaurus, who has come out of an egg thinking Tarzan is his mom, is from Tarzan's Jungle Annual #4 (1955). The script is credited by the Grand Comics Database to Gaylord Du Bois (same as the later story), yet drawn not by Marsh, but by Russ Manning.

Unlike the Tarzan drawn by Manning ten years later (Pappy's #1217), this Tarzan hews pretty close to the Jesse Marsh version. I believe here Jesse Marsh drew the faces to keep a continuity in style. The rest of the art is pretty easy to identify as Manning. His figure drawing is distinctive.















On seeing Tarzan leading a line of dinosaurs (page 11, “Page 51” of the Annual) my mind, which draws comparisons anyway, thought of a Supermouse story (Pappy's #941) I've shown before. Here's the panel sequence the Tarzan story reminded me of:



4 comments:

M. Bouffant said...

Pappy, Mr. Doortree has just changed his URL, & is now calling his blog
"The Golden Age." Same great stuff 'though. Here's his new address: http://thegoldenagesite.blogspot.com/

Pappy said...

M. Bouffant, I have made the adjustment in my links. Thank you for the information.

M. Bouffant said...

My pleasure, & thank you for hrs. of amusement.

Tempest Nightingale LeTrope said...

Just what every kid always wanted--an intelligent pet (or semi-pet) tyrannosaurus.