Translate

Monday, November 10, 2014

Number 1655: Moon Girl’s bad double

I wish I had a buck for every time we comic book readers have seen a story of a superhero impersonated by a crook.It is not the most original plot. Still, this is a Moon Girl story. Moon Girl, being EC Comics only superheroine (before the Old Witch, that is) is of some historical interest. The story, drawn by Sheldon Moldoff and published in Moon Girl #3 (1948), is entertaining enough in its own way. We know the Moon Girl double is a bad girl because she smokes and she stands around striking pin-up poses.












More Moon Girl from last January, including links to two other Moon Girl posts:


4 comments:

Brian Barnes said...

KNITTING SOCKS????

Was Moldoff trying to get into the crazy Wonder Woman story telling? The whole thing is a pretty standard 40s superhero story until the very end, and then ... KNITTING SOCKS?

She can push in a bank vault door. Knitting socks is not the best use of her time!

The first page is the most confusing thing ever, the characters look similar enough that it's hard to tell what's going on.

The double striking the pin-up poses is a lot of fun, I might attempt to go through the day striking GQ man poses.

Pappy said...

Brian, that ending reminded me of an incident from my childhood. My dad was upset with my mom because she refused to darn his socks!

Does anyone in this day and age repair stockings with holes? I go to a nearby store and buy six pairs for $5.00. But in those days with people who had grown up during the Great Depression knitting socks was probably a requirement for a woman to catch a husband.

Darci said...

Hi Pappy,
So there's a carefully prepared script for the visit to Simon Grunch, which she's memorized BUT never speaks. Does the real Moon Girl have an easily-recognizable Samarkand accent?
Thanks!

Pappy said...

Jeez, Darci...such a question. I've got a hearing problem. I wouldn't be able to tell even if she yelled it into my good ear.